Monday, January 10, 2011

A couple of my own quilts

Now that I've spent some time sorting my photos into the correct folders, we all have our own filing system don't we, I can show you some more of what I've been up to recently. 
As I was sorting and labeling the photos I realised there are quite a few I've not shared with you. I hope you enjoy seeing them as they get posted here.

This first quilt is one I made whilst living in New Zealand in 2005.  Dierdre became my friend and we decided to make this quilt at the same time.  It's been a great memory of the time we spent sewing together and I hang it each Christmas in my house.  Happy New Year to Deirdre, Mark Jacob Logan and Hannah!
Christmas Trees


Contrary Wife and Ornery Husband is the title of this quilt which usually hangs in our bedroom. I made this one quite a while ago when I first bought my new machine.  I thoroughly tested the 1/4" foot with all the triangles and such and I am pleased to say 95% of my corners are matching and very neat.
Contrary Wife and Ornery Husband
I love the woven effect created with  just 2 blocks, a Snowball block and Jacob's Ladder I believe. The pattern is in one my quilt books and I've used similar colours to the sample, our room is also decorated using these 3 colours so it fits well.
This was my first time doing free motion quilting on my domestic machine, I was very worried I'd stuff it all up somehow but I'm still reasonably happy with the finished result.


This quilt was made by Kath and myself for our friend Sandy's 3rd child Logan.  We saw it in a magazine and thought, mmm.. we have enough pieces to make this.  Hence it is a little scrappy but we had fun and I'm pretty sure Logan did not mind.  We used a piece of blanketing as the wadding which is lovely and thick, just the thing for floor use in New Zealand.
Logan's Quilt
Sorry its sideways, I did not change the original file and can't do it here.

Tulips and Daffodils


 These lovely stained glass panels were also made while we were living in New Zealand, I had lots of fun making them and used the complete roll of bias tape, I think I had about 1 1/2" left when I was done!

The dog rose panel was done in a class I took and then I got enthused that weekend and finished the other 3. I used some unevenly dyed fabric to give a bit of interest.

Dog Roses and Iris


I have a design for a sunflower in stained glass from the Three Swans Studio which I hope to make this year.  If I say it here someone will ask me at some point and it will get done.
I plan to hang it near my front door so my customers know they are at the correct house. 

I do like the stained glass effect and that these are 4 individual quilts, they could have been joined together quite easily as well.



Well this is most of what's in my 'Personal' photo file, will show you some more from the customer's quilts folder next time.

Happy Sewing

Raylee

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful quilts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen, they were fun to make and not difficult

    ReplyDelete