Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Wow it's September

Welcome back,
I have finally transferred a whole heap of photos from the camera to the computer so I  can show you some things I have been working on.  The transfer seems to be the delay point for me despite now knowing where the Card reader is.
While I've been absent from the blog I have not been idle, although battling a long term cold took its toll and the family shared it back and forth a bit.

One of my recent quilting projects was a quilt from the lady who won Viewer's Choice at the Glenrose Patchwork Airing of the Quilts in July.  The quilt is quite simply pieced squares on point. The fabrics are a variety of rose prints in dusty shades. The interesting thing about this quilt is the edges, they've been left square so the edge becomes a zig-zag.

This does add a lot of interest to the quilt when its finished, however I do not envy the owner the job of binding this quilt.  This is the first 'non-straight edge' quilt I have quilted and though it might look like it would pose a challenge I'll let you know how I manage the edges of quilts when quilting.

As any sewer will tell you one of the most annoying things to do is unpicking stitches.  This is double for quilting as the machines stitch quite fast and do lots of stitches in a small space especially if you make a mistake. It doesn't take long to quilt but takes forever to unpick a small distance of quilting.

To avoid any folding over and stitching of the edge of a quilt which would then require unpicking, I set the machine to baste and baste the edges down.  This small investment of time saves any catching of edges and quilting them over.
You can see the cream thread in a long zig zag basting stitch.  These threads are cut when the quilt is trimmed for binding and will not show in the finished quilt.  So if you have a desire to make a non straight edge quilt, go for it.




The quilting pattern on this quilt is Tea Rose and it was a great match. See below










Happy Quilting

Raylee

No comments:

Post a Comment